Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Throwback 2 0 1 3 • Cha Chan Teng Tour! | sixteen-twenty |

Bonjourcris,




-
Coming to my last entry for my breakfast cha chan teng tour, we are even on the tour on the the last day of 2013! Here are my december spots that I have been to my friends! 

-

Writing with great credits to my honourable guests, being together and trying out new and delish food till the last minute of the year (:
The C's Family
Coco (CO JIE) @lengnuisheartfood  
RSS
My beloved guests!
I am so happy to have you all spending our sunny days together!

-


December, 2013


Station SIXTEEN
Sing Heung Yuen
勝香園
2 Mei Lun Street, Central

Semester ends, exams start! But this doesn't stop us from going on our breakfast tour! Another pilgrimage spots for local food cravers. Here has been renowned for their noodles in rich tomato soups, bright orange-red soup base with a thick tomato layer covering on the top, sounds awesome! Sing Heung Yuen is just right down the staircase, with a typical dai pai dong style and ambience, personally I appreciate the eating environment here rather than their food!






Like what I have said, I like the feeling of dai pai dong here, no air-con, no fixed seats, with quite a lot of random wall arts around. Quite nice indeed making the old-style dai pai dong fused with some modern deco! It is definitely a good place for photo shooting if not bothering their operations haha a  Btw, the jie-jies here are quite nice too!

Personally saying, I think the tomato soup is rich enough but not as special as I expect, maybe there are more and more restos with premium tomato soup base foodie nowadays. But then, I really like the crispy bun with lemon juice on it, it makes the bun much refreshing and in good and freshy scent!




Monday Morning Selections:
Tomato and Beef Noodles 蕃茄牛肉麵
Butter and Honey with Lemon on Crispy Bun 牛油檸檬汁蜜糖脆脆
Toast with Condensed Milk, Butter and Kaya 奶油㗎咉多士
Iced Milk Tea and Hot Lemon Tea 


As a local, I think it worths to pilgrim, for its style and ambience. Certainly can be for their food, crispy bun! And it's always nice to discover some street specialties or local street features around or nearby!!


-


Station SEVENTEEN
Man Wah Coffee Shop
文華冰廳
B-C, 2 Bulkeley Street, Hung Hom

Old-traditional-local style cha chan teng normally named "Ice Room", while they usually has good bakery along, serving traditional pastry, some breads some tarts. While it looks simple and crude but of extraordinary humanity and a relaxing atmosphere.

Kai-fong Action again! I have been to Man Wah alone, as usual putting on my headphones, grabbing a magazine along for my beautiful breakfast time. I doubt before entering this cha chan teng, be stereotyping I feel a bit uncomfortable with the whole thing cuz it crowded with lots of elder uncles and pretty dark inside in fact.





Well when I get in, a nice auntie welcomes me; perhaps she realised Im a bit off the channel being Dai Heung Lei, she shows her kindness to me. Just simply telling her my spontaneous thought of my breakfast, she is so good to make everything in a better price for me, making everything in a set! 

Yea, I know, many cha chan tengs would do so as well. After sitting for awhile, I feel much comfy and warm here, and the waiters here - the aunties and the uncles are so kind and talkative. They would enjoy talking to everyone. After that I take here as my regular breakfast spot, and one uncle even remember what I use to eat and take me as a Sok Hak, their familiar customer!



I didn't try a lot of food here, but I am always satisfied with their Pineapple Buns! Crunchy butter top with fluffy bread, scent with rich butter flavour and a lil pineapple flavour as well. It certainly comparable to Kam Wah's (in MongKok)! I prefer the bread size here rather, it's a lil smaller but just right for a breakfast!

Though their omelettes doesn't really look attractive, they taste good and fully-stuffed with the ingredients you preferred!!





Private A.M.:
Pineapple Bun 菠蘿包
Omelette with Ham 火腿奄列
Iced Milk Tea


-


Station EIGHTEEN
Hoi On Cafe
 海安咖啡室
G/F, 17 Connaught Road, Sheung Wan

Today is a rainy day, but for sure cha chan teng breakfast is still on schedule! Today we head to Sheung Wan for our breakfast! Actually we are coming for the french toast, 'cause we are attracted by the golden deep fried thick toast simply looking at many photos, we crave for that, but sadly, they only offer the french toasts in the afternoon... But still we have a good day here!




I pretty like the interior deco here, with the red furnishing, it makes the whole shop much lively while keeping the retro style at the same time. And it's cool to see the century-ago billing machine here!



Hoi On has a very popular food - their ceramic pot noodles! We can just not afford to miss out this product, since it has included the ingredients of my whole week regular breakfast noodle-set! But I think it's a bit too oily and heavy taking this pot as a breakfast, too meatyyy!






What we have ordered:
Egg Tart 蛋撻
Crispy Bun with Butter and Condensed Milk 香軟奶油脆豬
Office noodles in Ceramic Pot 鍋仔公司麵 - fresh beef, luncheon meat, sausages, fried egg, spiced pork cube, smoked duck breast


-


Station NINETEEN
Shui Kee Coffee Shop
 瑞記咖啡
Shop 17, 2/F, Sheung Wan Municipal Services Building, Sheung Wan

Following station eighteen, we crave for second breakfast again! Finding another breakfast spot around, we got to Sheung Wan Municipal Services Building. Having a little chat with the shop holder, the elder uncle didn't expect their shop to be popular, cus after having a number of interviews with the mass media, more people are coming over as pilgrimage again. They rather prefer a slower and relaxing atmosphere, but not an intense and rushy one! 




This morning we up on Shui Kee, unlike my previous visit, there are no people here probably because this is a monday morning after the rush hour. As usually I have ordered their highlight food and the signature bottled milk tea! I really love their french toast, unlike everywhere's, their toasts are pan-fried with egg rather than deep-fried, which gives me a strong sense of home, just like those I make myself! For sure I can't do as well as them! 

For the beef-egg sandwiches, beef-eggs are fried with spring onions that bring with better scent. And their bread are soft and fluffy enough too! Iced Milk tea in Schweppes bottle is another highlight here, I think it's more for gimmick!








What we have ordered:
French toast 西多士
Corned Beef and Egg Sandwiches 雞蛋牛肉三文治
Bottled Milk Tea 樽仔奶茶


-


Station TWENTY
Gala Cafe
 嘉樂冰廳
G/F, 40B San Tsuen Street, Tsuen Wan

31 December, the last morning of two-oh-one-three! As a finale our beautiful year, certainly we gotta start off our day with a nice breakfast! Like we have been to many places in HK island and Kowloon side for the sunrise meals, we almost forget about the NT. So, today, mind the earliness, we come to Tsuen Wan, pilgrimage again, yea now I know we love to pilgrim lollll



Get recommended, we find here, cus like we are not familiar with the district, we need a lil time to get here. Such an inconspicuous cha chan teng which not in retro style either, but we find treasures in it. But disappointedly, 'cause the milkshake man didn't show up in the early morning, we can't try out the milkshakes that we crave for... sadddddd! 



What do I mean of the treasure here? Something as big as a burger, but as simple as a sandwich; something typical but kinda special! yea, I will tell ya! Normally food get smaller than what you expect, but here, surprised by the size of it, shock for 10 second indeed lol

Little Omelette with Ham, you may have no idea what "little" is, me either. Finally I believe size is indefinite and subjective, so yea... nobody in fat, okayyy? Eat more together happily ever after :p The omelette is made with S E V E N eggs!!!! omg, can't believe that can be called "Small"... It is stuffed with bunch of ham slices and the egg juice is dwelling between, nomnomnom! But then, it is a bit salty for me, without soy sauce would be better, actually Im not sure if they add it cus just way too juicy!

The chicken wings are good too! The soy sauce flavour match well with the Thai sauce, and the chicken wings are stewed well with juicy meat.





What we have ordered:
Little Omelette with Ham 火腿小奄列
Chicken Wings stewed with Soy Sauce 豉油王雞翼 


Just saying again, couldn't try their milkshake... What a pity, my friend's face totally shows that HAHAAA.


-



Cha Chan Teng Breakfast Tour
It really gives me lots of great memories with my beloved family and friends. I love eating, I love travelling around and discovering new things new spots, I love trying new things, love trying new food! And, knowing more about the local culture, about Hong Kong.

Be a real Hong-Kongese, 
Cha Chan Teng has been popular among for decades and centuries perhaps, I am not a food expert nor cultural expect anyway, but cha chan teng definitely presents and preserves lots of invaluable features and memories of the old Hong Kong. From their food to furnishing or decorations, no matter for the new style cha chan teng or the retro traditional ones, they indeed are the specialties of Hong Kong, representing local food culture and local taste. I love cha chan teng, not exactly because of their food, but the dining atmosphere, shouldn't I say dining but eating. More carefree, much relaxing, that I would always love to immerse in their amiability, the friendliness and warmth of Kai-fong!

Perhaps cha chan teng is not looking as cool as those stylish restaurant, food are not as healthy as any other else, but they stand everywhere every spot every corner all over Hong Kong. We will always miss them when we are out of the Hong Kong boundary, like why can't I find a french toast with peanut butter in between, I wish I could have a PO LOR BAO or Butter based DAAN TART, or what about a silk iced milk tea!

I am just writing randomly to store my momenta here, and to keep a journal of our cha chan teng tour, or say I really kinda sharing some good ones to my friends (: Yea, of course these are all subjective opinions, hahaahaaaaa!  With lots of biases in between words loll Don't challenge me laaaa :P

To end my entry at 11:50pm, 31December, 2013
Im so glad to have my dear friends be food searchers with me, these months the most anticipated meal of the day is ever eve breakfast, and some moment I even thought that I can have my breakfast in no where but in cha chan teng! Anyway, I get so much fun in between!

Hope everyone have a nice 2014!
Continue with my foodie tour in coming year, and hope we are not getting fat with another blessing year filled with food! HAAHAAA :D





Bises,


Crystal



Cha Chan Teng Tour | sixteen-twenty |
Sing Heung Yuen, Central  •  Man Wah Coffee Shop, Hung Hom  •  Hoi On Coffee Shop, Sheung Wan
Shui Kee Coffee Shop, Sheung Wan  •  Gala Cafe, Tsuen Wan


For more...

Cha Chan Teng Tour  | one-eight |
The Match Box, Causeway Bay  •  Lung Fung Cafe, Tai Hang  •  Australian Dairy Co., Jordan
Shang-hai Zhen Mei, Tseung Kwan O  •  Wing Sing Cafe, Hung Hom  •  Grand Coffee Shop, Wan Chai
Ying Kee Restaurant, Wan Chai  •  Fameux Cuisine, Hung Hom
Cha Chan Teng Tour | nine-fifteen |
Lan Fong Yuen, Central  •  Honolulu Coffee Shop, Central  •  Kam Wah Restaurant, Choi Hung
Diamond Cafe, Choi Hung  •  Kam Wah Cafe, Prince Edward  •  Hunghom Cafe, Hung Hom
Tsui Wah Restaurant

No comments:

Post a Comment